Saturday, July 11, 2015

Let's Get Musical

In case you were wondering what I have been doing these past couple of weeks since I made up my fairly successful (5/30 is better than most years) NBA mock draft, I have your answer. My obsession with music is well documented and if there's one thing that I had not covered before this July in describing my obsession, it's proof that I made weekly top 20 music video countdowns from at least 2007-2012 (2001-05 records have been lost over time. What? You expected six year old me to expect to do this for eleven years and keep a sophisticated filing system?). Well, I've gone through those records and have used one of the heads etched forever in stone on the internet Mount Rushmore, Spotify, and have added EVERY SINGLE SONG that debuted between the years of 2007 and 2012 and made an annual playlist for each year titled so gracefully "-insert year here- Good Stuff". I was inspired to go through with this shower-thought after two things happened...

A. I already had made 2013, 2014 and 2015 Good Stuff lists to narrow down my choices for my annual end-of-the-year Top 40 Countdown after I stopped doing the weekly countdowns (due to increased time focused on work and social life)

and B. I saw that Conan on TBS had playlists from every year all the way back to 1992 featuring music from nearly all of the musical guests on his multiple talk shows these past 23 years.

Here is a link to each playlist of songs that appeared on my countdown (2007-2012) and songs that just missed the cut for the year-end Top 40 Countdowns (2013 & 14), AKA: The "Good Stuff".

2007 Good Stuff (featuring Amy Winehouse, Justin Timberlake and about two Daughtry songs too many)
2008 Good Stuff (featuring Britney Spears, Ludacris and Sheryl Crow)
2009 Good Stuff (featuring Alicia Keys, Drake and Green Day)
2010 Good Stuff (featuring David Guetta, OK Go and Timbaland)
2011 Good Stuff (featuring Cee-Lo Green, Florence + The Machine and Lady Gaga)
*2012 Good Stuff (featuring Feist, Machine Gun Kelly and Rihanna)

* = Not in chronological order. Not that you likely care

Those are just the NEW playlists that I was able to put together in my free time this past week. 2013 Good Stuff (featuring John Legend, Kendrick Lamar and Paramore) and 2014 Good Stuff (featuring Beyonce', Childish Gambino and Coldplay) were already in existence prior to this week but, that does not make them any lesser as playlists and everyone should check those out as well as there are songs that haven't been heard in a while and songs that you might have missed these past eight years.

Along with that, I might as well link to my end-of-the-year Top 40 playlists (AKA: The "Best Of" lists) as well.

Please note that some songs (only two or three out of the 300 songs) are not on Spotify for whatever reasons.

**Best Of 2006  (featuring Outkast, Gnarls Barkley and Red Hot Chili Peppers)
Best Of 2007 (featuring Gwen Stefani, KT Tunstall and Paolo Nutini)
Best Of 2008 (featuring Flyleaf, Kanye West and Katy Perry)
Best Of 2009 (featuring The Black Eyed Peas, Kid Cudi and Yeah Yeah Yeahs)
Best Of 2010 (featuring Brandon Flowers, Ke$ha and M.I.A.)
Best Of 2011 (featuring Adele, Kings Of Leon and Lykke Li)
Best Of 2012 (featuring Bon Iver, Lana Del Rey and Metric)
Best Of 2013 (featuring Arcade Fire, Janelle Monae and Lorde)
Best Of 2014 (featuring Foster The People, Phantogram and St. Vincent)

** = Only a Top 20 and all other records from this year are lost which is why there is no "2006 Good Stuff" playlist.

So, enjoy the sonic journey I have led you to and keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars.

Sadly, there is no music featured on any of these lists from Devastatin' Dave and I apologize for having failed you.

No comments:

Post a Comment