Sunday, July 6, 2014

These Bands Haven't Always Been This Terrible, Right?

This is in response to the Salon.com article on the most hated bands of the last 30 years. Link to article.

New rule: When discussing the following bands you cannot shy away and say "oh yeah that band is terrible." because that's common knowledge at this point and you are contributing nothing to society. Stop pretending you've always hated these bands. Instead, you must ADMIT which songs you don't hate/kind of like no matter how uncoordinated, unprofessional, and screamy (new word) you sound. I'll go first. 

Go ahead and put this as your best friend's wallpaper the next time you're at his/her house. I dare you. 

1. Nickelback: They were ok in small doses early on, I like "This Is How You Remind Me", "Someday", and "Savin' Me". -gasp- boo-fucking-hoo I liked 3 Nickleback songs. They then went on to make the same shitty drinking songs over and over again and lost me around 2006-07. 

2. Smash Mouth? They had that "All Star" song and "Walking On The Sun". I wasn't aware people hated them, I am very indifferent to this band. 

3. Black Eyed Peas: Ohhh, don't even get me started. "Where Is The Love?" was a solid song but lyrically? total poo-water. Monkey Business was a great, fun pop/hip hop album. Fuck you for thinking otherwise. "The E.N.D." came out just before auto-tune took over and this album was another good pop/dance album but I didn't realize it would lead to a whole shit-ton of terrible electro-heavy mainstream radio. BEP's last album was bad and rushed. I hope they're done as a band because they can only go downhill to the place where all of these so-called "expert critics" already have them. It's all stupid music ("My Humps" "I Gotta Feeling" "Don't Phunk With My Heart") but it's fun, stupid music and I enjoyed their Super Bowl halftime show. I have no regrets.

4. Hootie & The Blowfish: I'm pretty indifferent toward the Blowfish as well but Hootie's a good guy and he makes not-awful music. There's my analysis. I can't get into country but "Wagon Wheel" was actually very nice the two or three times I accidentally heard it.

5. The Goo Goo Dolls: Just like Nickleback, I hate this shitty shit McShitterson band now but "Iris"? I enjoy the occasional listen. 

6. John Mayer: He's an asshole of a person and like most of these, I understand the hatred but his last album was fucking good. I admit, "Daughters" winning Grammy Song of the Year was the exact opposite of the bomb-diggity and he was kind of just sitting around being a continuous dickface for about 7 or 8 years but the dude is talented. His voice is just too dull for some people. 

7. Dave Matthews Band: I could give a shit less (pun very much intended) about his dump-dumping incident on that river a few years back, the Dave Matthews BAND is good music. 

8. Creed: I own "Human Clay" on CD. Sure, I was trying to sell it at a garage sale this past weekend but that still holds up as a decent album and "Higher" IS the early-00's.

 9. Train: Current Train is worse than polio (Lord, I apologize for that one). At first, Pat Monahan's stupid lyrics were sort of fun and interesting but now, he tries way too hard. "Meet Virginia", "Drops Of Jupiter", "Calling All Angels", and that one solo song he had are all songs that I do not turn the dial on. "Drive-by"? "Hey, Soul Sister"? I want to miss everything they do.

10. Blink 182: "Miss You" is a great song, "All The Small Things" is fun and I don't get the hatred here but they've become very forgettable over time.

11. Lana Del Rey: I don't understand the hatred here either. Weird comments like somehow glorifying young-death just make her more interesting to me. One SNL Performance does not a career define. Her latest album, Ultraviolence, is great. 

Now BANDS THAT THIS LIST FORGOT ABOUT WHO ARE ALSO HATED: Coldplay (everything they do is great even though they're on a downhill slope), U2 (read Coldplay's parenthesis'), and Kanye West (Most commonly misunderstood person of the last 15 years).

So there, I hope I managed to get a discussion going about why we actually hate these bands instead of just "Ohh, Nickleback is the worst". That may be true but you need something more to your argument than just "douchey", that's not really even a description. If I didn't manage to do that, at least I'm free from the chains of secretly liking a few songs by universally hated bands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment